Firstly, we would like to suggest, and we are sure most of you will agree, that we really should clean our jewelry regularly. As we wear these treasures, they will be exposed to oils from your skin, lotions, dirt, dust, water, heat, cold, etc. The original sparkle that was there when you first acquired them will begin to fade and become dull and tarnished as time goes on.
Of course you can purchase a jar of ‘jewelry cleaner’ from any number of retailers, but how effective is it really, and what exactly is in that jar of ‘magic’. You might be surprised to learn that some are no more than liquid dish soap, while others are made up of different chemicals. But, continue reading as we review the Best Ways To Clean Jewelry At Home.
Consider The Following
Table of Contents
Before choosing the method and or materials you will use to clean your jewelry there are a few important things to consider.
Let’s start out by taking a look at exactly what pieces are you wanting to clean. What are they made of, yellow, white, red, rose or pink gold, silver, platinum, palladium, zirconium, stainless steel, tungsten carbide, diamonds, rubies, pearls, crystals, other gemstones or semi-precious gemstones. These are all important considerations as you will be soaking and or gently scrubbing your pieces with these solutions/cleaners.
Let’s examine now the more popular methods and products being used to clean jewelry, both professionally and at home.
DIYHH – Do It Yourself Home Hacks
- Dish soap – That’s right, many use a gentle dish washing liquid to clean their jewelry. One that has no salts or anything abrasive included in it. The idea is to simply soak your jewelry in a bowl of dish washing soap with a little warm water, the more soiled the piece is than the longer it should remain in the solution.
Following a good soaking, it is recommended to brush ‘ever so gently’ with a ‘soft’ toothbrush. One that will remove particles carefully. Following this it is recommended that you rinse the piece in warm plain water and pat gently dry with a soft cloth.
- Baking Soda – Baking soda is used by many to clean jewelry, especially pieces made of silver that may have tarnished over time. Simply mix a solution of baking soda and warm water, forming a liquid-like paste. Gently apply paste to the piece of jewelry with a soft cloth and or soft bristled toothbrush. After brushing gently, rinse in warm water and pat dry with a soft non-abrasive cloth. You may be amazed at the results.
- Vinegar – That’s right, the same white vinegar you used to put on your french fries at the beach. Simply pour enough in a bowl or jar to cover the pieces you wish to clean. This particular method is especially good for cleaning your gold or fine gemstones. Soak for 15 to 20 minutes, gently scrub with a soft bristled toothbrush, rinse thoroughly in warm water, than gently pat dry with a soft cloth.
- Club Soda – Simply place your jewelry into a jar or bowl of club soda. Fill the container sufficiently to cover the pieces you will clean. The bubbly action of the soda will penetrate the crevices and remove any particles and grime. This method is particularly effective for restoring the sparkle in your diamonds. After 15-20 minutes, rinse in warm water and pat dry with a soft cloth.
- Toothpaste – We use toothpaste to clean and polish our teeth so why not clean and polish your jewelry, right ! Some toothpastes may be too abrasive to be used to clean some of your precious gems, gold or silver, but will be very effective on your fine costume jewelry pieces that have dulled with use over time. Just squeeze a little onto a soft toothbrush and gently scrub your pieces. Once again, rinse in warm water and gently pat dry with a soft cloth.
- Ketchup – Wow, can you believe it. Who would ever think to use a food condiment to clean jewelry. But, let me tell you, if you wish to remove tarnish from a piece of silver jewelry, ketchup is the ticket. Give it a try, you may be amazed. Simply place your piece in a thick ketchup solution and soak for 15 – 20 minutes. Gently scrub with a soft bristled toothbrush to remove anything from the crevices, rinse in warm water and pat dry with a soft cloth and VOILA. Your silver will look its very best once again.
- Beer – This beverage seems to have many uses in addition to quenching one’s thirst. As it turns out it is particularly effective for cleaning your gold jewelry. Amazing I know, simply place your gold pieces in a bowl or jar, cover them with beer, excluding the darker varieties, and let them soak for a few minutes. Once again, remove, gently scrub with a soft bristled toothbrush, rinse in warm water and pat dry with a soft cloth. Your gold will look like you just picked it up from the jeweler.
RECOMMENDED JEWELRY CLEANING LIQUIDS
- Connoisseurs Fine Jewelry Cleaner – Definitely our number one pick from all the special cleaners we have reviewed. This cleaner is ammonia free and very safe to use on all of your most precious gold, platinum, diamonds and gemstones. It includes a large deep cleaning drip tray and soft bristled brush to make it easy for you to ‘deep clean’ all your pieces. Clean in just a mere 30 seconds. Its specially formulated solution will help to reduce the appearance of any fine scratches that may be present restoring the original brilliance.
- Weiman Jewelry Cleaner – Another well-known and well respected cleaner that will restore the shine and brilliance to your gold, platinum and diamonds. It is effective in removing tarnish, debris and gunk from your jewelry. It contains ammonia, surfactants as well as a chelating agent to help remove dirt and restore shine. Includes a tray in which to submerse your pieces into the solution. All you will need is a soft clothe to gently pat dry after rinsing and buff to a shine. Note:The manufacturer recommends that you do not use Weimans to clean your coral, ivory, amber, pearls, opals, jade or turquoise.
- Goddard’s Instant Jewelry Cleaner – An ammonia free, non-abrasive rapid cleaner for all your jewelry. It will very effectively clean all of your gold, silver, pearls, opals, diamonds and turquoise treasures. It is a gentle formula containing zero harsh chemicals assuring you that your jewelry will not fade or discolor as a result of cleaning.
It is a Quick Shine formula that will restore your jewelries original sparkle. It is so easy to use. Just dip your pieces into the solution to soak for only a mere 2 minutes. For extra dirt you can gently brush with a soft bristle brush, dipping basket & brush are included. Goddards Instant Jewelry Cleaner will help your jewelry be resistant to tarnish for weeks or even months between cleanings.
Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaners
You may ask, “How do ultrasonic jewelry cleaners clean? A very good question. An ultrasonic cleaner actually uses ‘sound waves‘ to clean. Their vibrations will actually break down dirt particles in your jewelry and around your gemstones. This soil will cause your pieces to look dull and faded. Yes, these machines really do work. You will be amazed at the “professional” like job they will do for you at home. They are easy to use, relatively inexpensive and the results impressive.
We will present here a few models recommended for home use.
- Magnasonic Ultrasonic Professional Jewelry Cleaning Machine – This cleaner will clean your jewelry, watches, utensils and even your eyeglasses, all to a sparkling clean you may have not seen in a very long time. It has a 3-minute cleaning cycle with an automatic shut off. Simply uses water for the cleaning solution where thousands of tiny micro bubbles are created completely encircling all of your jewelry and cleaning them very effectively. Its retail value is listed at 42.96 on Amazon.
- Pelcas Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner – Used for jewelry, watches, glasses and even dentures. This unit boasts a 750 ml detachable stainless steel tank with a digital timer. A professional digital ultrasonic cleaner providing 42,000 Hz which will thoroughly clean all dirt and grime in minutes, and will not damage your valuables in any way.
The manufacturer recommends to use warm water and a special cleaning fluid which will yield better results. Machine has 3 power setting options. Also, includes a removable basket, watch stand & CD rack, 12 month warranty and 24 hr customer service. Retails for 30.35 on Amazon
- Vcutech Ultrasonic Cleaner – A digital cleaner with a large 2 1/2 ltr tank will ‘deep-clean’ every angle of your rings, jewelry, eyeglasses, dentures & accessories. It will clean cracks and areas you cannot see without causing any damage. Has a built-in removable cleaning basket and a heating option with digital readouts. Boasts a degas function to protect your valuables from oxidation or chemical reactions during cleaning process. Guaranteed refund within first year if unsatisfied. Retails at 99.99 on Amazon.
- DK Sonic Ultrasonic Cleaner – This unit comes equipped with basket, heater and user-friendly LED display to make settings super easy to read. Time adjustable, stainless steel tank, safe to use with 40Khz professional performance. Heating unit will remove oil and wax substances from pieces. Uses a memory function with an auto power off for safe operation. This unit has a 3 ltr tank with basket for ultimate cleaning results. Retails for 129.99 on Amazon.
So, there you have it. Our newest review of the more popular methods for cleaning your valuable jewelry. Everything from the DIYHH, ‘Do It Yourself Home Hacks’ to ‘Recommended Jewelry Cleaning Liquids’ and finally, ‘Professional Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaners’. There are lots of options out there. Some methods require extreme caution while others are very safe. All the methods above lean toward the ‘very safe’ end of the scale.
As always, we appreciate your taking the time to read this review and hope it has been useful to you. If so, we would love to hear your thoughts or experiences on the ‘Best Way To Clean Jewelry At Home’.